Just over a week until I head up to NYC for BEA! It will be my first time, and I’m excited, nervous, and I feel totally unprepared.
- Authors! There are so many I want to meet. Julie Kagawa is one of the authors at the top of my must-meet list, so I’m thrilled she will be there. And there are too many others to name whose books I’ve either read and loved or want to read.
- Bloggers! I’ve only met a couple of bloggers in person, so I can’t wait to replace actual faces with some of the avatars I see.
- Books! OMG, the free books! I did not even know about BEA before I gave birth to my blog in February, so I’m still digesting the fact that I will be walking out of that place each day with free books.
- Forcing myself out of my comfort zone. I’m quite introverted, but I think it’s good to push myself on occasion. I’m going to try meet people, make small-talk, and chit chat. This should not be too hard. After all, in this environment, we all share a common interest, so it should not be difficult to start a conversation!
- Crowds. Now would be a good time to tell you that I get very uncomfortable in crowds. I don’t like over-anxious, jostling, rude people, and I’ve read numerous posts that promise just that. I’m a bit worried that I’ll go the first day and find it so unpleasant that I won’t want to go back. If I start to feel that, I’ll have to repeat the positives above. Over. And over.
- Annoying the hell out of my brother. In a money-saving gambit, I decided to stay with my brother rather than in a hotel. He has a small one bedroom apartment in Manhattan. This would be the longest I’ve ever stayed at his place (4 nights), and I think he’s going to be tired of tripping over me and my stuff every day. I guess that’s what family is for, right?
- Being on my own. I’m going to BEA by myself, and the silly part of me worries if I’ll seem out of place or awkward. Will I be the ONLY one wandering around by myself?
- Turning into an obnoxious BEA attendee. This is my biggest fear. Am I going to go nuts and try to snatch up books I will never read? Will I become one of the rude jostlers? Will I get into shoving matches over books? People can go crazy in the presence of free stuff, and I hope I’m not one of them. And if I do? Please feel free to poke me and say, “Hey. Quit being an asshole.”